Sunday, June 27, 2010

Negative Comments About Natural Hair

I do not understand why people continously make negative comments about natural hair. I don't think people really understand the meaning of natural hair and what it represents. Natural hair makes a statement, and has a purpose. It represents the black culture, our history, and our struggle. Black people did not always wear weaves, perms, and texturizers. When black people lived in Africa.......they had natural hair. When black people were slaves....they had natural hair. Even during the civil rights movement black people had natural hair. What has changed in our culture in the last 42 years? Black people went from fighting for the their freedom and equality to putting people down with nautral hair because their hair is "Nappy". Why are we trying to be something we're not instead of enbracing who we were born to be....

1 comment:

  1. I believe and this is just my opinion that as a culture we have tried so hard to assumilate into the dominant "white" culture that we can not accept and appreciate what makes us unique. If we think about it for just one minute we can see that the texture, thickness, and strength of our hair is actually the envy of so many other ethnic groups... But why do we feel presure to change it? Perhaps the fear that the world will not accept it as beatuy? or professional? If a tattoo is an expression of me and accepted by the world or a flag a display of my heritage, than is not the way I wear my hair an expression of me as well?

    ReplyDelete